Tuesday 10 May 2011

Hannington, nr Cricklade, Wiltshire. May 7th 2011:





























This design at Hannington lies North of Swindon, between the larger villages of Cricklade and Highworth. Created in oilseed rape (canola), and measuring approximately 150 feet in diameter.

Image courtesy of Olivier Morel: The Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group

Field report by Paul Anderson:

Having travelled from my place of work in Swindon, I made my way along country lanes through the village of Blunsdon. Forget you Satnav, this place is off the map!!..... to find it you will need an OS map. I travelled 3 - 4 km down single track road until I came to it's end. From here it becomes cycle route/footbath/bridle way. I parked the car, grabbed my stuff and set off on foot, knowing I still had a walk of at least 2km ahead of me.

On reaching the field, the depressions can be seen from the footpath, I made my way to the far end of the field and cut back into the tramlines until I reached the edge of the formation. The floor lay was un-striking. On closer inspection, nearly every plant stem I examined had been broken clean off at the base, right above the ground. Others were broken anywhere between ground level and 6 inches above the ground. Others were part split along the stem, obvious pressure being applied along the stem with some weight. Everything indicating that foot power had been used. Quite interesting to me is the width of the rings in the outer circles......... probably about the max width that can be had with a stomping board?

Other tell tales signs are the scrap marks up the plant where the soft outer wall of the plant had been bruised. Also, and here is the reminder for all of you who wish to maintain that this is a genuine formation....PLEASE PLEASE, look back at the original findings of Mr Andrews and Mr Delgado....... in genuine circles, the plant stems are BENT NOT BROKEN, 2-3 inches above the ground and the plants are manipulated into position by some other force which places the plant and stem neatly ABOVE the ground.

Every plant in this formation is broken at ground level, OR if not broken, the whole stem is knocked over at the root, and then layed absolutely flat to the ground. Other indications of this being man made are the flattened rings of crops around the standing edges.........clear evidence of parts of the formation going down before others parts to create defined edges. Certainly this formation did not go to the ground in one swoop of some E.T. forcefield.

This location is extremely remote. An ideal location to make a formation without fear of being disturbed. The road I followed is the only one in or out. There are no overlooking vantage points to get an aerial view of the formation. If it was not for the keen eye of a member of the public, I don't think this formation would have been spotted. Which begs the question as to why anyone would bother to go to the length of walking out into the middle of nowhere to make this formation? totally off radar.
 
Paul Anderson



No comments:

Post a Comment